I made it! Even if I missed blogging about the last two roundups in time: Me-Made-May’14, a project initiated by Zoe. As to my pledge I wore primarily me-made clothing and or accessories each day of May 2014. I also found out a lot about my wardrobe needs and even managed to fill some gaps already. What I didn’t do was taking my everyday picture but at least I wore an already documented garment on these days or smuggled in an older pic 😉
The photo documentation helped me discovering quite a few facts about me, my style and my wardrobe, first of all the black thing: Wearing mainly black was no surprise but adding a little colour was (and still is) the real challenge. Before MMMay’14 I often tried the hard way, sewing garments like the following dress to force myself wearing colours with the result that even if I can wear it, I don’t.
A better, more thoughtful way surely is adding colour within or similar to black like navy, dark brown or such. These attempts made me feel way more comfortable with and within myself and I plan to go on like this until I am brave enough for the little red dress ;D
The other thing I learnt is I have quite A LOT of me-mades not really appropriate to wear over a common day. I mean there are days you totally can wear a black dress with cream-coloured buttons adorning the front from head to knee but still it feels awkward running errands like this on a daily basis. Know what I mean?
My MMMay Conclusion
What I need are more separates, casuals maybe, even if I passionately dislike “casual wear”. To me casual wear is the reason why style is becoming more and more notably absent on the streets. Everybody seems to be off to “just walking the dog” looking like a troll in jerseys, yoga pants or “fave” denims yearning for a wash. Just no! I need casual style that fits, is flattering to my figure, classy, comfy and easy to mix up. I would like to open my wardrobe without being afraid that the only item matching the skirt I want to wear that day is in the laundry!
Last but not least I would like to thank some of the Me-Made-Ladies for keeping up with me during the challenge, for daily inspiration, a lorry load of new ideas, views and insights and for the fun of sharing my wardrobe with you! Thanks for being around! You rock!
- Adey from the Sew Convert, the most stylish SAHM ever, who never fails to impress with her cute yet classy style
- Carolyn from Handmade by Carolyn whose stunning me-made wardrobe would exceed our flat
- Katherine from bernie and i who has quite a few dresses I have a longing for
- Margo from Creating in the Gap who always seems so naturally elegant even in “casual” outfits
- Merche from Aventuras de Costuras who is not only witty and elegant but sexy
- Yoshimi from Yoshimi the Flying Squirrel whose extra-ordinaire yet natural way of dressing just blows my mind
- Zoe from So Zo… keeping up me-made style as a busy mom and whose ideas kept me going me-made the last few years
More MMMay ’14